Search This Blog

Rob Green

January 2012



THE actors in the video to accompany Rob Green’s song, Cardinal, are familiar faces from film and TV, among them Aisling Loftus (The Borrowers), Joe Dempsie (Skins, Game Of Thrones), Georgia Groome (Angus, Thongs And Perfect Snogging), Chanel Cresswell (Trollied, This is England) and Ladene Hall (A Room For Romeo Brass).
So how did he do that?
“I already knew the actors,” says Rob.
“We attended the Television Workshop together here in Nottingham, so making the video felt like a family affair.”
Rob, who grew up in Chilwell, Wollaton, Gedling and Aspley, where he attended Trinity School, recently returned to the city after studying for a degree in Leeds.
“To have so many Workshoppers take time out of their manic schedules to come and be part of Cardinal was an honour. These guys were some of my earliest supporters.”
Cardinal is released on the Outlaw label, which is managed by Greg Lonsdale and Jack Curtis, who directed the video.
Says Jack: “The actors are all friends who I know from the Television Workshop. It was a real group effort.
“And they all said how honoured they felt to have a helping hand in Rob's career.”
He adds: “Aisling Loftus, who starred in the Christmas rendition of The Borrowers on BBC One, alongside Stephen Fry, managed to find time in between rehearsing for her latest play in London to come back to Nottingham for a night to film her scenes.”
The video was shot in the city during October and is set in the back of a London cab, bought especially for the shoot.
“I've been involved in making films for years but this is the first music video I've directed,” says Jack.
“From a filmmaking and storytelling perspective, the prospect of making music videos doesn't usually excite me very much. I think all in all they can be very samey.
“I tried to steer away from the traditional music video by creating something with more of a narrative. I actually see it as more of a short film than a music promo.”
Cardinal, which has already been played on BBC 6Music, is the lead track on Rob’s EP, Parlour Tricks.
His band were put together by keyboard player Christella Litras, who has worked with the likes of Jamiroquai, Corinne Bailey Rae and Beyonce.
“She’s my mentor,” says Rob.
“She’s a professional songwriter and composer and last August she asked me to write some lyrics for a song she was working on for ‘someone’.
“A week later she told me that song had been for Motown legend Martha Reeves.
“Martha rang Stella's house from the US at 3am wishing to speak to me; she wanted to tell me in person that she loved the song, my voice and that she wanted to meet me when she comes to England this year for her tour. I was speechless.”

For more information about Rob Green and to watch the video for Cardinal in full visit www.robgreenmusic.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment