Search This Blog

Harleighblu

July 19, 2013



IT feels like she’s been on the Nottingham music scene for years and yet Harleighblu is still only 21.

She started early: “I was in gospel choirs from being quite little,” says the music student, who lives in Carrington.

“And I entered singing competitions all over the country, winning vouchers to buy equipment. A karaoke machine was one do the first things I bought because there was a recording setting on it,” she laughs.

Although she moved all over the country with her mum’s job – a Toni & Guy hair stylist – Harls (you can call her that, go on) has spent most of her life here.

“It was my mum’s passion for rare groove, soul and R&B that got me interested in that kind of music. Even when I was at school I wouldn’t listen to anything else. My school friends were listening to Britney Spears or Busted while I was listening to Lauryn Hill and Jill Scott.”

Those influences remain despite many describing her next single, Play Me, as sounding like Amy Winehouse.

“It’s definitely a good thing as she’s amazing but it’s just a coincidence that Play Me sounds that way. The last track I had out, Enough Now, everyone said sounded like Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Lauryn Hill and Floertry. And that is what I listen to more than Amy. But it’s a massive compliment.”

She describes her music as hip-hop soul: “It’s beat driven with a soulful edge.”

Harls signed to Tru-Thoughts in December and has since been played on 1Xtra, 6Music and Radio 1. Play Me will be released on July 29 with the debut album due in October, after which she’ll tour the UK, France and the US.

Which means she is unlikely to finish her music studies at NCN.

How she manages to get to college is a mystery as she often stays up until the early hours writing music.

“I get the most creative in the middle of the night. I don’t know why,” she admits.

Harleighblu will be on the Courtyard Stage with a band slimmed down to a five-piece.

“I’m looking forward to seeing Jake because the last time was when he was about 16,” she says.

“He was amazing. Off stage, he was a typical Nottingham lad but when he was singing it impressed me so much! No one had done Bob Dylan since Bob Dylan and Jake added his own twist.

“I’m looking forward to seeing Georgie Rose as well and Joel Baker because they’re both amazing. And no, they’re not friends of mine before you start...”

No comments:

Post a Comment