Search This Blog

Nina Smith

February 2015

THE success of her second EP, This Love, has come as a surprise to Nina Smith.

The singer songwriter who lives in the city centre, reached No. 4 in the Top 10 of the iTunes R&B/Soul chart this week, with the four-track, digital-only release.

“I’m pretty shocked that it’s done so well,” she says.

“Especially because I just put it out on a whim, without any major label backing, PR or marketing behind it.

“I didn’t expect it to chart at all. But I think Nottingham has got behind me.”

Nina has been one of the most popular musicians on the city music scene for the past few years, playing every venue, from the Rescue Rooms to the Theatre Royal and the Royal Concert Hall, where she supported Belinda Carlisle.

But her fanbase stretches beyond NG1 due to social networking, with nearly 5,000 Facebook friends.

“I think they’re the ones who bought it, the ones who sent it from No. 72 on Monday morning, a few hours after it was released, to No. 4.”

It has been four years since her debut EP, Lonely Heart Club, was released and while the music has shifted more to soul than acoustic pop, the theme of love continues.

“I should be writing about drama or heartache because I’ve been through a lot of that”, she laughs.

She hopes the success of the EP will attract interest from record labels in order that she can secure the investment to release an album.

“I’d like to do an album, a tour and get some good airplay,” she says.

Nina has also slogged her way to London numerous times over the years to showcase her acoustic pop and soul.

Last year she did gigs with SBTV and Instagram at Jamie Oliver’s restaurant and was at The Stillery in Camden just this week with her music partner Petirii, for I Luv Live, an urban music showcase.

Her next Nottingham gig will be on Saturday, February 28, although it will be more of a celebration.

“It’ll be for everyone who has bought the EP.

“It won’t be a conventional gig with me on stage. I want it to be a laugh where everyone gets involved.”

The venue for that has yet to be revealed.

“We’re doing a video for Stronger next weekend that will be launched at the party,” says Nina, who grew up in Bakersfield and has been played on BBC 6 Music and 1Xtra.

“I want people to be excited for what’s next – I’m keeping the momentum going. There’ll be a lot more from me this year.”

Coming up is a feature on the new album by Nottingham rapper Scorzayzee.

Of Nina’s success, he says: “Just when you think it’s tougher than ever, life surprises you with something you had no idea was coming.

“Well done Nina, you have made everybody proud.”


For more about Nina Smith go to ninasmithmusic.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment