Search This Blog

Jake Bugg Vs Leona Lewis

October 20 2012


THE latest figures show that there are just a few thousands copies between Jake Bugg’s self-titled debut album and Glassheart by Leona Lewis.
But Jake is in the lead.
And if the 18-year-old beats the pop superstar to the top of the album chart tomorrow it will be a first for the city.
“It feels great,” says Jake.
“Whether it will still be No. 1 when the chart comes out I don’t know but it would be amazing. Especially with my debut album.
“I didn’t imagine that it would get in the top ten, never mind No. 1.”
The Official UK Charts Company will announce the results for the Top 40 albums on Sunday evening, as Radio 1 runs down the Top 40 singles.

As well as support on Twitter from the likes rapper Example and chart-topper Ed Sheeran, family and friends have been buying the album - even his own mum.
“I am so proud of what Jake has achieved so far,” says Leeysa Kennedy, who Jake lives with in Clifton.
“From an early age, Jake demonstrated an amazing talent where music is concerned.”
Says Jake: “My mates have gone out and bought it as well. It’s great that my hometown is getting behind it.”
His four best friends have had a taste of the limelight, appearing in the video for his latest single Two Fingers.
The song includes the line: ‘I go back to Clifton to see my old friends, the best people I could ever have met.’
Says Jake: “I went to school with Jas and Cameron, and Billy and Grant are my cousins. They’re in my Trouble Town video as well.”
Two Fingers also features Wollaton actress Vicky McClure.
“She’s lovely.” says Jake.
“I had to do a bit of acting in it. We had to improvise. She’s such a great actor and she really helped me with that.”
It was in 2010 that Jake appeared on the Post’s online video show, This Is Live, as an unknown.
“It’s incredible that I did that only two years ago,” he says.
It was his current manager, Jay Hart, who saw the video, got in touch and began working with him.
Jake signed to major label Mercury Records last year.
He has since been played on Radio 1, appeared on Later with Jools Holland and supported the Stones Roses at a secret gig in London.
On Monday he will fly out to the US for a tour with Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds and Snow Patrol.
“It’s what I’ve always wanted to do,” says Jake.
“So if it means I’m really busy and getting a lot of attention heaped on me, well that’s the way it goes.”
Jake, who says he has heard of Seventies band Paper Lace, one of the city’s few chart successes, came home last weekend.
“It was nice to have a break but when the album came out on Monday the work started again.
“I won’t be back in Nottingham until my gig at the Rescue Rooms in November.”
That’s already sold out so he’ll return on February 15 to play Rock City.
“A couple of years ago I played in the basement at Rock City supporting a country band and no-one was there. So headlining on the main stage is a big thing for me.”
Potentially becoming Nottingham’s biggest music star at the age of 18 doesn’t phase Jake.
“I don’t really know anything else to be honest.”
He adds: “I enjoy meeting celebrities and the parties but what I enjoy most is sitting down and writing songs”.
Post reviewer Mike Atkinson, who last year had a feature on the emerging Nottingham music scene published in The Guardian, says: “This time a year ago, Jake was playing a late night residency at the Glee club. It’s been an extraordinary ascent.”
Local music champion Mark Del adds: “It's an amazing achievement for Jake and incredibly exciting for Nottingham.”

NOTTINGHAM'S ALBUM CHART SUCCESS

Swing Out Sister topped the chart in 1987 with It's Better To Travel. Singer Corinne Drewery was born in Beeston and grew up in Long Eaton but the family left for Lincolnshire when she was eight.
Ten Years After have been the city's biggest album sellers with millions of sales in the UK and US but the blues rockers never topped the chart, although they had eight Top 40 albums in the late Sixties and early Seventies.
Stereo MCs reached No. 2 and won a Brit Award for their 1992 album Connected. Rob Birch and Nick Hallam left Ruddington in their late teens and moved to Brixton.
Paper Lace topped the singles chart in 1974 with Billy Don't Be a Hero but their albums failed to chart.
Alvin Stardust, the '70s glam rocker who grew up in Mansfield, had two albums in the UK chart during 1974: The Untouchable (No. 4) and Alvin Stardust (No. 37).
Iron Maiden have topped the album chart five times and have a Notts connection; frontman Bruce Dickinson was born in Worksop.
The Wanted have reached No. 4 and No. 5 with their albums and the band features Newark's Jay McGuiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment