Search This Blog

Ronika

July 2012


Why are you in Barcelona for the summer?
To finish mixing my album whilst getting some fresh inspiration from the sun. The sun gives me special powers. I’m like a reversed superhuman. I save the planet during the day and then at night I just go to sleep. Night-time crime can wait. I think I’m here until September but if there’s any way I can stretch that out until forever I would as I have a beach on my doorstep here. And the weather is amazing. I know, I hate me too.
Your last gig here was in March at The Bodega. A good one?
Brilliant. It was so cool that so many people came out for it and great to finally play with Nina Smith and HarleighBlu, my sisters in preventing crime. There’s nothing nicer than playing to your Notts family.
It was around that time that your single Automatic was released. Chic legend Nile Rodgers tweeted that he thought it was “dope”, the Sunday Times described it as “1980s infused perfection”, the NME said it was “pop music for credible pop fans”...
Yeah, I think you pretty much got it covered there. Rob da Bank played it on Radio 1 and Tom from Groove Armada played it on his BBC 6 Music show. It’s one of my favourite tunes so I was really happy it went down so well. My single with Herve, Make It Right, has just come out. It’s a big summer rave anthem, which has had support from Annie Mac on Radio 1.
How was your gig in London after The Bodega show?
It was a Bacardi Beginnings launch party and I played with Mylo, Friendly Fires, Joe Goddard from Hot Chip, Jessie Ware and Aluna George. I love all of those guys’ music so it was pretty special for me to play with them. and the place was packed out. They framed the stage with golden bats – I dedicated a song to one of them. To celebrate their 150-year birthday, Bacardi decided to nominate three established artists – Mylo, Joe Goddard and Friendly Fires – to mentor three up-and-coming artists. Mylo chose me, which came as quite an awesome surprise. He said he’d like me to sing on his album.
What have you got planned for Splendour?
The live set is really all about big party vibes. I just want everyone to have a good time. I might try and bring some Spanish influence back with me; flamenco dancing and throwing omelettes into the crowd. We will also be joined by Sam Potter from Swimming and Late Of The Pier who will be throwing some shapes and banging out some sounds with us.
Who are you looking forward to seeing at Splendour?
Well, I can’t wait to see fellow homies Natalie Duncan, Nina Smith, Rob Green, Indiana, Jake Bugg and loads more. There’s such a ridiculous amount of talent from our city. And Dizzee Rascal will be way cool, too.
What will you be doing for the rest of the summer?
I’ll be in Barcelona finishing the album which will be out early next year. I’ll be writing some new music and getting the next release ready for the autumn.
Ronika will be on the Jagermeister Stage at 7pm. For more about her visitwww.ronikamusic.com and follow her on Twitter: @ohronikagirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment