Search This Blog

Dionne Warwick

May 2012


TO celebrate her 50th year in music, Dionne Warwick is touring the UK with her band and a 12-piece string section. She’ll be revisiting her biggest hits, including I Say a Little Prayer, Walk On By, That's What Friends Are For, Alfie and What the World Needs Now, which are among more than 60 she has enjoyed since the early 60s. 
The 71-year-old, who has sold more than 100 million records, will be coming to the Royal Concert Hall next month.

What experiences have you had of Nottingham on past visits?
I did one of my very first concerts in Nottingham in the early 60s and have had the pleasure of doing the tourist thing by visiting The Castle. I’ve always been truly impressed with the city.

What show will you be bringing to us this time?
I will be doing songs that I love and hope those attending the concert have grown to love as well, with a few songs from my most recent CD.

The Osmonds recently bid farewell with their UK tour? Do you ever plan to do the same?
I have no intention of stopping touring the UK. We’ve had a wonderful relationship for the past 50 years so there will not be a farewell this time.

Tell us about your most recent album.
Only Trust Your Heart, which was released last year, consists of songs written by Sammy Cahn and Jack Wolf. I've just completed a 50th anniversary CD that will be released in September.

Of all the hits you’ve had, which is the one you enjoy performing most?
I treat my songs like my children so I don't have a favourite.
They all are my favourites.

Does new music excite you?
Music has a wonderful way of representing the times we live in and the music of today is produced by and geared for younger ears than mine. I listen to my peers and also a lot of Brazilian music at the moment.

What do you think of the current popularity of reality TV shows like American Idol?
Reality TV and shows such as American Idol suit a purpose. They are nothing new but updated versions of shows that have been a part of TV for many years. I think American Idol is a 21st century version of  The Arthur Godfrey Show or The Ted Mack Amateur Hour. They show new talent to us all, which is a good thing.

Where is home and what do you do for fun?
I split my time between New Jersey and Brazil. And when I’m not working I try to catch up on much missed sleep. I also spend time with my friends and family.

Dionne Warwick will be performing at the Royal Concert Hall on Sunday June 3, in association with Jazz FM. Tickets are £24-£45, call 0115 989 5555 or go to www.jazzfm.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment