Search This Blog

Dag För Dag

March 2010

Brother and sister duo Jacob and Sarah Snavely grew up in Southern California, lived separately around the world in places as diverse as San Francisco, Greece, Spain, London and Honolulu, then relocated to Sweden. Their music has been compared to everyone from PJ Harvey to The Cure, White Stripes and Joy Division.
Sarah Snavely answers the questions:


What was your first album?
Howard Jones’ Dream Into Action. I absolutely loved the song No-one Is To Blame and felt super cool going out to buy the album on cassette to play in the boombox my dad bought me for Christmas. Way to go, 1985!

What are you currently listening to?
Laura Veirs’ July Flame. She's a perfect soundtrack to long days working at home.

What is your Desert Island Disc?
Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons. If I was stranded on a desert island, I don't think I could handle any one singer's voice for too long without hitting madness that much sooner, so it would have to be instrumental. Vivaldi was a master composer and The Four Seasons contain all emotional hemispheres - storms, quiet peaceful patches, uproar, joy.

Which song do you wish you'd written?
American Tune by Paul Simon. It is an utter masterpiece, a huge novel of a composition.

Which song has had you in tears?
Nothing Compares 2 U. Sinead O' Connor's version of the Prince classic. When I first saw the video for the song when I was 14, the part where there's a close-up of Sinead's face with that lone tear running down it, I was totally moved to a whole new level of musical feeling. The song still does it for me today.

What is your guilty music pleasure?
I saw Coldplay last summer and was totally impressed by their show - some cool cats might think that's not so cool, but I don't give a damn.

Which music makes you angry?
Opera. It grits and grinds away at my nerves. I really don't see the point in why these people freak out so much that they have to sing at such piercing volumes and in such nasty tones. I do adore all other classical music, but opera... noooooo.

Who was your first gig?
Starship, supporting their Knee Deep in the Hoopla album. Awesome year, 1985. My dad and I were in Phoenix, Arizona watching some drag races and Starship were playing at the track's venue. They had a song called Sara which my dad dedicated to me.

Which musician would you like to be?
I really like being me. Is that cheesy? I have yet to see somebody who does what I want to do better than me, not in a pretentious way but in a 'I love my guitar, I love my lyrics, I love dancing like a maniac, I love wearing gold sequins, I love our songs' sort of way.

Elvis or The Beatles?

The Beatles, hands down. Awesome awesome band. Elvis and his peanut butter and banana sandwiches have never done it for me.

Dag För Dag play The Bodega Social Club on Thursday, 7pm to 10pm, with My Psychoanalyst. Tickets are £6, call 0871 310 0000.

No comments:

Post a Comment