Search This Blog

Nik Kershaw

My Weekend: Nik Kershaw

I didn't used to do weekends as such as every day was a possible work day. But now I make a point of having a weekend. I relish doing all the normal stuff, like mowing the lawn and creosoting the, erm, cat.
It'll usually begin with me making pancakes on Saturday morning and cleaning up puppy poo.
I will rarely play music to relax as that is the day job. I do that all week in the studio. I'll perhaps play a bit of Vaughan Williams while I'm reading the Sunday papers but that's all really.
As well as the papers I'll pick up a book. At the moment I'm reading Long Way Down by Nick Hornby, which is full of real stories about real people.
I don't watch a great deal of television but I never miss House. In fact, my life is on hold until series six comes out.
Do I listen to the radio? It's usually on in the background. I might catch Jonathan Ross' morning show on Radio 2 on a Saturday or Dermot O'Leary in the afternoon.
I don't go to too many gigs but we did go to the theatre recently. To be honest I was dragged by the wife and daughter to see Mamma Mia. That said, actually, it was rather good.
Have to be honest, I don't go to the cinema much either. The last film I saw was Fantastic Mr Fox with my son. I found it quite odd and he slept through it.
As a family we often go to a place near Braintree called the Discovery Centre. Adults can have a nice brisk walk and the kids can run riot on the random pieces of play equipment scattered about.
Also, it's only 15 minutes away from A&E.
My favourite restaurant is a place called The Blue Strawberry in nearby village Hatfield Peverel.
If I order a takeaway I'll tend to go for chicken tikka jalfrezi with Bombay aloo and an onion bhaji.
Do I keep fit? No. I make a point of doing virtually nothing as often as I can.
My idea of a perfect weekend would include spending time with the family, of course. Maybe catching up with a few friends, good food and wine, a game of golf and a bit of Scrabble.

Nik Kershaw's solo acoustic tour, during which he will be playing old and new material, comes to the Rescue Rooms on Thursday, February 18, starting at 7.30pm. Opening the show will be Isle of Wight singer songwriter Martin Newnham. Tickets are £16 in advance from the venue or by calling 0871 310 0000. Expect to pay more on the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment