Search This Blog

John Walker

TO this day many believe that The Walker Brothers were brothers.
"On each day I play one person asks me if we were are anmd what is my bntrother doing?," says John Walker.
"I guess we did look an awful lot alike."
I actuality John is John ???? and Scott is Scott ????
"I started usijng the name Walker when I was 17 years old.
When Scott joioned mmy band, I was working with my sister at the tiome. we had a dance band. Then Scott and I started wotrking together as the Walker Brothers Trio.
The when Mercury Records signed us, they thought Walkers Brothers Trio sounded like a jazz group so they just shportened it.

Scott still records but it's a world away from the past successes with John. Odd, surreal, dark and frankly mental.
"That's what he wants to do. And he's been heading that way sin ce the mid-seventies. He obviously likes doing it.
They speak occasionally he says.

He lives in Californian, which is where he mocved from New York when he was ????


He met Phil Spector just once, when the producer was working in a studio next door around 1959/60.
"He need someone to play an electric guitar part. So he stuck his head in the door and said 'do you think you could cojme next door when you're done here and play this part for me? he was just like another guy making records. Obviously years later when he became very successful.
TYhere were a lor of poeple who were victims of success.
A lot of them died of excessive behaviour. Maybe it's something in youer genes.
Phil Spector seemed to go off the deep end.
I'm not stranger to a little excess myself. But there always seemd to come a point in my oife where enough was enough. and it was like 'OK, I'm not doing this anymore.' And I guess that5's why I;m still around doing what I'm doing."

These days the only drug is adrenalin.
"I'm having a great time. And that's 90 perc ent of what keeps the whole ball rolling. The adrenalin rush is ridiculous.
The other difference is the performance.
"Nowadays if you make a kistake everybody knows it. In the mid-sixties nobody eharsd you anyway.
I remeber when Scott and I were on tour we were doing a telvsion show wityjh ahuge orchestras in ghermany. We were sitting on stolls singing like Make It Easy On Yourself and My Ship Is Coming IN, we got back to the dressing room and Scott lokked over at me and said, you know what, that's the first time I've heard you in two years.
Touring now you get a much greatest sense of satisfaction because you can actually hear everything that's going on. You know when it's going well and it keep you on your toes.

On the tour his 35 minute slot will include the four big walker Brother hits and a couple of rock n roll classics, including a Ray Charles. he's a big fan.

He didn't meet gerry Marsden until 2006.
I know we worked with th ME4rseybeats way back then but it was like one show and we never actually met each other..

I went to see The Beatles at Finsbiury Park and I had to have as much security as they did. You couldn't mdo anything. It was ikjnd of a hectic life.

We always picked these monstrous pieces of material to do. very ddramatic and they required big orchestras.


I'm very familiar with Nottingham but when asked to recall any restaurants or bars he may have been here says "that's pretty much impossible.
"It's always a different place every time and rarely do I actually make a note of the name.
yeah, all right. Only asking.
Everything cvhanges a lot..
He has been playing the UK for over 40 years. It was here that The Walker Brothers first had significant success.
"We became like I guess superstars here. We were doing a lot in America before we came over.
We came over because England was it. In the sixties it was the most happening place there was.
At that time we'd been playing the in clubs in Hollywood. Brian Jones and Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts used to come in and we'd have a chat with them before we came over.

No comments:

Post a Comment