Search This Blog

Saint Raymond: Young Blood EP

January 2014


BRAMCOTE teenager Callum Burrows is in a battle with music superstar Beyoncé at the top of the iTunes chart.

The 18-year-old, who goes under the name Saint Raymond, released latest EP Young Blood on Tuesday. In 24 hours it was at No. 3.

“It’s beyond anything I expected,” says Callum, whose last EP, Escapade, reached No. 24 on the same chart.

“My only hopes for it were that it would beat Escapade, so when it was at No. 11 I thought ‘that’s amazing, I’m done’. Then it climbed to No. 6, then No. 4 and someone tweeted me saying it was at No. 3, sat right behind Beyoncé... which isn’t a bad view.”

Due to the rules of the chart, the EP is listed with the albums, not the singles – or “songs”.

While Beyoncé’s self-titled album was at No. 2, the compilation The Trevor Nelson Collection 2 was at the top. Lagging behind were Ellie Goulding and Bastille.

“It’s a youthful anthem,” he says of the lead song. “I wanted to celebrate what it was to be young and daring.”

Zane Lowe and Greg James have played it on Radio 1 and Jo Whiley on Radio 2.

“It was played on Celebrity Big Brother the other night as well,” he says. “I got a tweet about that because I don’t watch it. I’d rather watch paint dry.”

The video was shot in Australia but he’s not in it: “The last few months have been a bit crazy and there wasn’t the time for me to shoot the video. The opportunity arose for this video to be shot in Australia of a guy going for it and jumping around. I thought it was a cool idea and exactly what the song is about.”

This week he’s in Hertfordshire writing his first album, due out in the summer. He started it at the end of last year in Los Angeles.

Since then he’s been on a tour of Europe and the UK with chart-topping US band Haim.

He says: “Haim were cool. On the last night they gave me a bottle of champagne and invited me and the band to join in a birthday party they were having for one of the girls.”

His headline tour comes to the Rescue Rooms in March. Callum, who lives with his mum and dad in Bramcote, adds: “The whole family will be down for that so it’s going to be a special night.”


Tickets to see him at the Rescue Rooms on Friday, March 28 are £8, call 0845 413 4444 or go to alt-tickets.co.uk. Watch the video for Young Blood at nottinghampost.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment